President Kennedy was right. We should also rest our hopes on flasks, elixirs, and foods. In my ongoing mission to bang my melee-hunting head against the wall in the most efficient way possible, I put together a list* for myself of the more useful self-buffing items. This isn't a terribly informative post, I know -- I'm mainly putting it here for my own reference. I've got a few thoughts at the bottom that might interest you, though.
Isn't it something, the way so many people overlook scrolls?
Elixirs - Battle
- Major Agility (35 agi, 20 crit) 
Elixirs - Guardian
- Major Fortitude (250 hp, 10 hp per 5) 
- Ironskin (30 resil.) 
- Major Defense (550 armor) 
- Earthen Elixir (-20 dmg/attack taken) [N/A]
Foods - Self
- Spicy Crawdad, Fisherman's Feast (30 sta, 20 spi) 
- Grilled Mudfish, Warp Burger (20 agi, 20 spi) 
- Spicy Hot Talbuk (20 hit, 20 spi) [N/A]
- Ravager Dog (40 AP, 20 spi) [N/A]
- Stormchops (Uncontrollable AoE) [N/A]
Foods - Pet
- Agility V (20 agi) 
- Intellect V (20 int) [N/A]
- Protection V (300 armor) 
- Spirit V (30 spi) [N/A]
- Stamina V (20 sta) 
- Strength V (20 str) [N/A]
Stormchops is a very cool item for solo AoE farming, but it has a terribly risky quality in groups: it breaks CC. This may change in patch 2.4, when a number of AoE attacks will be changed so they don't hit CC'd targets.
Hit is a squirrely kind of stat, with some people claiming it's overrated, and others insisting it's the fastest way to improve their dps. I tend to the idea that since all my threat currently comes from raw damage, Hit very likely is my most important stat in my role as a tank until I'm capped. That really elevates the importance of Spicy Hot Talbuk. In an ideal group, with Heroic Presence and a moonkin's Improved Faerie Fire, I may be able to pass on that food and use an agi or stamina booster instead.
* The values in square brackets are TankPoints values for my current gear. Interestingly, the TankPoints value for Major Agility + Major Defense elixirs together is 1661, not 1641. In either case, the two together are theoretically superior to the Fortification flask alone.