Monday, June 9, 2008

Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.

I doubt my math on this, because it seems unrealistic. I was looking at the WWS report from my last Karazhan run, evaluating my gear, etc., paying special attention to my trinkets. I've been a long-time fan of my Maelstrom card. Last Kara, my DPS time was 1h., 14min (4440 sec.), and the card dealt 31,921 damage. 31921 dmg/4440 sec = 7.18 dps. Right?

But, wait... that number is huge, x-box hueg. Because if 1 dps = 14 AP, as conventional wisdom tells us, then 7.18 dps = 100.52 AP. Read that again, please, because I've got to have gotten something wrong. My level 60 Darkmoon card has more base attack power than a trinket from Black Temple? I've long preached the seekrit powar of using Wing Clip spam to proc things -- is it seriously that effective?

2 comments:

shaox said...

14 AP gives 1 BASE dps i.e. white damage dps. You would use several abilities that either scale off through your AP directly, or scale off via weapon damage (i.e. via AP indirectly). So 14AP does in fact add more than 1 dps in total.

Anonymous said...

TKAsomething forums theorycraft that:

1AP = ~.17 actual DPS

or

1 Real DPS = 5.88 AP

for the average hunter. YMMV of course.